A greener economy, a better future
Posted by jeckert on 04/22/2010
Today marks the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day...and it is crucial that America be on the cutting edge of green innovation and manufacturing. In a special Earth Day piece in the Huffington Post today by EPA Administrator, Lisa P. Jackson, we are reminded of the importance of having a strong, green economy. Jackson writes:
Today we celebrate the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, and later this year we will mark the 40th birthday of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and 40 years of the remarkably successful Clean Air Act. The suite of environmental protections that took shape in 1970, along with a sweeping Clean Water Act in 1972, remain some of the most effective policies in our history.
What is sometimes less noticed is that those actions were about more than environmental protection. They also represented an economic philosophy, a belief that American industries could continue to expand and innovate without jeopardizing our health and welfare. And it worked. Despite the overheated rhetoric we often hear today about runaway environmental regulations killing jobs, our history is one of healthier families, cleaner communities -- and, yes, job-creating innovation and a stronger America.Jackson went on to champion the next generation of American-made vehicles that will simultaneously help to protect the environment while reducing our dependence on foreign oil. Read the full article here.
Related recent Blogs
- May 7, 2013 Headlines: GM denies, Obama blames, Safety Advocates scrutinze, and more... • by LDonia • 05/07/2013
- America's steel industry pushes the boundaries of automotive innovation. • by scapozzola • 05/01/2013
- AAM President Scott Paul Addresses Good Jobs, Green Jobs • by scapozzola • 04/25/2013
- April 15, 2013 Headlines: A stronger manufacturing sector, U.S.-China-North Korea relations, and more. • by LRaup • 04/15/2013
- November 20, 2012 Headlines: Jobs skills, Shenzen, pollution permits, and more... • by LDonia • 11/20/2012
- November 8, 2012 Headlines: the trade deficit decreases, myths about the auto industry, and more. • by LDonia • 11/08/2012
- October 3, 2012 Headlines: an American-made PC, and more. • by LDonia • 10/03/2012
- President Obama signs executive order intended to improve U.S. manufacturing competitiveness • by LDonia • 08/30/2012
- Big Irony: China expresses concerns over U.S. support for solar and wind projects • by scapozzola • 08/22/2012
- June 29, 2012 Headlines: Data Shows Downturn, African Trade Deal, Airbus in Alabama, and More • by smorgante • 06/29/2012