"We had somewhere probably around 25 million people today wake up without a job"
Posted by jeckert on 02/22/2010
Sen. Dorgan (D-ND) using the cover of an AAM document to demonstrate that 'Buy America' works. Senator Dorgan today on the floor of the U.S. Senate: "Who decided that all of that should be washed away because we can’t compete with somebody that works for 50 cents an hour, somebody that works in a factory where they live in cinder block little rooms, 12 in a room at night, and they work seven days a week, 12 to 14 hours a day? Who decided that ought to be the standard with which we ought to compete?" "It doesn’t make any sense to me. I guess there are people who believe that Made in the U.S.A. doesn’t matter anymore. We don’t have to be a country that manufactures. But the fact is if we don’t have a strong manufacturing base, we will not long remain a world economic power. That’s just a fact. And this manufacturing base of ours is being sequentially and systematically destroyed." "In 1960, 30% of our GDP in this country was manufacturing. Now it’s 11%. There’s 1.2 billion cell phones sold on this planet every year. Not one of them is made in America."
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013