"We had somewhere probably around 25 million people today wake up without a job"
Posted by jeckert on 02/22/2010
Sen. Dorgan (D-ND) using the cover of an AAM document to demonstrate that 'Buy America' works. Senator Dorgan today on the floor of the U.S. Senate: "Who decided that all of that should be washed away because we can’t compete with somebody that works for 50 cents an hour, somebody that works in a factory where they live in cinder block little rooms, 12 in a room at night, and they work seven days a week, 12 to 14 hours a day? Who decided that ought to be the standard with which we ought to compete?" "It doesn’t make any sense to me. I guess there are people who believe that Made in the U.S.A. doesn’t matter anymore. We don’t have to be a country that manufactures. But the fact is if we don’t have a strong manufacturing base, we will not long remain a world economic power. That’s just a fact. And this manufacturing base of ours is being sequentially and systematically destroyed." "In 1960, 30% of our GDP in this country was manufacturing. Now it’s 11%. There’s 1.2 billion cell phones sold on this planet every year. Not one of them is made in America."
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013