Buy America Works
Posted by jeckert on 02/10/2010
The Recovery Act (ARRA) has had great success in reviving parts of the economy, adding jobs, and promoting "Buy America." In a recently published "One-year report on State Transportation Successes under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act" the facts presented outline how successful many ARRA funded transportation projects have been. According to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee:
- As of December 31, $26.4 billion, or 77 percent of the $34.3 billion provided for highways and transit, has been put out to bid on 12,250 projects.
- Within this total, 10,600 projects (totaling $22.6 billion) are under contract.
- Across the nation, work has begun on 9,240 projects totaling $20.6 billion—60 percent of the total available highway and transit formula funds.
- Work has been completed on 3,150 projects.
21,400 miles of pavement were either improved, resurfaced, or widened.
1,700 safety traffic management projects were implemented.
Over 630 miles of bike lanes, sidewalks, or environmental mitigation projects were underway.
7,450 buses have been purchased and 1,637 bus shelters constructed.
- 280,000 direct, on-project jobs have been created or sustained across the country.
- Total employment from these projects, which includes direct, indirect, and induced jobs, reaches almost 890,000 jobs.
- Nearly 70 percent of transportation contractors received recovery work.
Related recent Blogs
- Why Biden's visit to Ohio CSX terminal is a pretty big deal • by LDonia • 11/06/2013
- November 5, 2013: Apple's new Made in the U.S.A. commitment dwarfs Walmart's • by mmcmullan • 11/05/2013
- Oh yes: A Made in America Girl Scout project • by mmcmullan • 10/15/2013
- What’s in a name? Is the Made In America Festival really all that Made In America? • by mmcmullan • 08/29/2013
- Governors applaud Made in the USA, but do their laws support American manufacturing? • by TGarland • 08/23/2013
- AAM Field Coordinators discuss manufacturing issues in the states • by LDonia • 08/12/2013
- WATCH: NYC bridge steel outsourced to China • by scapozzola • 08/09/2013
- Did you miss the "Want Jobs? Do This." hangout last month? Watch here. • by TGarland • 08/06/2013
- New Amtrak trains, made in USA • by scapozzola • 07/31/2013
- USW's Leo Gerard: NYC's MTA is making excuses to avoid buying American-made steel. • by scapozzola • 07/24/2013