Buy America Works
Posted by jeckert on 02/10/2010
The Recovery Act (ARRA) has had great success in reviving parts of the economy, adding jobs, and promoting "Buy America." In a recently published "One-year report on State Transportation Successes under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act" the facts presented outline how successful many ARRA funded transportation projects have been. According to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee:
- As of December 31, $26.4 billion, or 77 percent of the $34.3 billion provided for highways and transit, has been put out to bid on 12,250 projects.
- Within this total, 10,600 projects (totaling $22.6 billion) are under contract.
- Across the nation, work has begun on 9,240 projects totaling $20.6 billion—60 percent of the total available highway and transit formula funds.
- Work has been completed on 3,150 projects.
21,400 miles of pavement were either improved, resurfaced, or widened.
1,700 safety traffic management projects were implemented.
Over 630 miles of bike lanes, sidewalks, or environmental mitigation projects were underway.
7,450 buses have been purchased and 1,637 bus shelters constructed.
- 280,000 direct, on-project jobs have been created or sustained across the country.
- Total employment from these projects, which includes direct, indirect, and induced jobs, reaches almost 890,000 jobs.
- Nearly 70 percent of transportation contractors received recovery work.
Related recent Blogs
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013
- Promise on the horizon for American solar • by mmcmullan • 05/14/2013
- May 14, 2013 Headlines: Redefining success, building Amtrak, banning Tesla, and more... • by LDonia • 05/14/2013
- New American-made locomotives unveiled. • by scapozzola • 05/13/2013
- Members of Congress Press for "Buy America" Steel Preferences in Transportation, Defense, and Homeland Projects. • by scapozzola • 05/02/2013
- When taxpayer dollars are spent overseas... • by scapozzola • 04/30/2013
- WATCH LIVE: House Whip Steny Hoyer unveils 'Make it in America' Agenda • by scapozzola • 04/09/2013
- Maryland Passes Buy American Bill • by scapozzola • 04/09/2013