Krugman: 1.4 million U.S. jobs lost due to Chinese mercantilism.
Posted by scapozzola on 02/03/2010
New York Times columnist and Nobel-prize winning economist Paul Krugman was pondering U.S.-China trade recently and he came up with some interesting numbers. He was wondering about the toll that China's mercantilism is having on U.S. jobs:
we know that China is pursuing a mercantilist policy: keeping the renminbi weak through a combination of capital controls and intervention, leading to trade surpluses and capital exports in a country that might well be a natural capital importer. We also know, or should know, that this amounts to a beggar-thy-neighbor policy — or, more accurately, a beggar-everyone but yourself policy — when the world’s major economies are in a liquidity trap.Krugman says that China's current account surplus (almost 1% of world GDP) is now suppressing the rest of the world's exports--a roughly 1.5% "negative impact on gross world product." Extrapolating this to the U.S., he finds that by using a "rule of thumb that one point of GDP = 1 million jobs, we’re looking at 1.4 million U.S. jobs lost due to Chinese mercantilism." Read more.
Related recent Blogs
- S&ED Talks with China Serve Up a Big Ol' Nothingburger • by mmcmullan • 07/10/2014
- As American as Apple Pie — But Made Overseas • by TGarland • 07/02/2014
- AAM’s Scott Paul Talks #SOSJobs with Sen. Sherrod Brown on The Ed Schultz Show • by elizabethbb • 06/27/2014
- Capitol Hill Shines Spotlight on #SOSJobs • by elizabethbb • 06/25/2014
- No More Excuses About the Economy. It's Time for Action. • by elizabethbb • 06/12/2014
- New hacking allegations surface against China's military • by mmcmullan • 06/10/2014
- Walmart’s “Made in America” Pledge Running into Roadblocks — and Walmart is to Blame • by elizabethbb • 06/04/2014
- China trade deficit soars in April: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 06/04/2014
- WTO sides with U.S. on China's auto tariffs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2014
- What's funding the military buildup in China? • by TGarland • 04/23/2014