Krugman: 1.4 million U.S. jobs lost due to Chinese mercantilism.
Posted by scapozzola on 02/03/2010
New York Times columnist and Nobel-prize winning economist Paul Krugman was pondering U.S.-China trade recently and he came up with some interesting numbers. He was wondering about the toll that China's mercantilism is having on U.S. jobs:
we know that China is pursuing a mercantilist policy: keeping the renminbi weak through a combination of capital controls and intervention, leading to trade surpluses and capital exports in a country that might well be a natural capital importer. We also know, or should know, that this amounts to a beggar-thy-neighbor policy — or, more accurately, a beggar-everyone but yourself policy — when the world’s major economies are in a liquidity trap.Krugman says that China's current account surplus (almost 1% of world GDP) is now suppressing the rest of the world's exports--a roughly 1.5% "negative impact on gross world product." Extrapolating this to the U.S., he finds that by using a "rule of thumb that one point of GDP = 1 million jobs, we’re looking at 1.4 million U.S. jobs lost due to Chinese mercantilism." Read more.
Related recent Blogs
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013
- The Veep heads to Asia, while Michigan Democrats and automakers press the "currency issue" in TPP talks • by TGarland • 11/27/2013
- November 27, 2013: Tension over the East China Sea and more • by LDonia • 11/27/2013
- November 21, 2013: Defense Authorization bill, Trans-Pacific Partnership and Tax Reform, oh my! • by LDonia • 11/21/2013
- November 20, 2013: Debunking boilerplate nonsense from Obama regarding #mfg • by mmcmullan • 11/20/2013
- November 19, 2013: White House catching a lot of TPP grief these days • by mmcmullan • 11/19/2013
- Joe Biden set to speak at Port of Houston • by mmcmullan • 11/18/2013