Is America #1 in Manufacturing?
Posted by spaul on 05/30/2007
An interesting piece from the Financial Times last week:
China heads for top of manufacturing league By Peter Marsh
China will take over the role as the world's largest manufacturer from the US by 2020, but the US's position in the global league table of manufacturers will remain surprisingly strong, according to Global Insight, a Washington-based economics consultancy.
Its forecast that the US will keep its share of global manufacturing output above 20 per cent, at least until 2024, goes against the widespread feeling, at least in the US, that the country is losing ground rapidly.
The US share of global manufacturing output will fall to 22.2 per cent by 2020 from 25.5 per cent last year. By 2020, China's share will rise to 22.4 per cent, from 12.1 per cent in 2006.ManufactureThis wants to know what you think. Is America #1 in manufacturing? Where will we be in 2020?
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013