Is America #1 in Manufacturing?
Posted by spaul on 05/30/2007
An interesting piece from the Financial Times last week:
China heads for top of manufacturing league By Peter Marsh
China will take over the role as the world's largest manufacturer from the US by 2020, but the US's position in the global league table of manufacturers will remain surprisingly strong, according to Global Insight, a Washington-based economics consultancy.
Its forecast that the US will keep its share of global manufacturing output above 20 per cent, at least until 2024, goes against the widespread feeling, at least in the US, that the country is losing ground rapidly.
The US share of global manufacturing output will fall to 22.2 per cent by 2020 from 25.5 per cent last year. By 2020, China's share will rise to 22.4 per cent, from 12.1 per cent in 2006.ManufactureThis wants to know what you think. Is America #1 in manufacturing? Where will we be in 2020?
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013