Buy America Works
Posted by jeckert on 10/28/2009
Clackamas, Oregon: Investing in domestic supply chains can promote growth in new industries in the U.S. A good example is United Streetcar of Clackamas, Oregon, which is building the first modern streetcars to be manufactured in America in nearly 60 years. It is set to build seven streetcars for the city of Tucson, Arizona, and another six streetcars for the city of Portland, Oregon, as part of system expansions. The work is partially-funded by the federal government and complies with the Federal Transit Administration’s “Buy America” Act that requires at least 60 percent of a vehicle contain domestic content. As a result, the work will create manufacturing jobs for an entire network of companies, both locally and throughout the U.S.
- Miles Fiberglass will manufacture front and rear shell pieces for the streetcars. It was recently forced to lay off 35 workers, but has since rehired 10 workers because of new business.
- Northwest Technologies will be providing brackets and mounts that will help attach panels made by Miles Fiberglass to the streetcars. The new business will allow it to avoid laying off employees.
- Penn Machine Co. of Johnstown, PA, will manufacture wheel sets with gear boxes.
- Recaro of Auburn Hills, MI, will manufacture seats.
- Milwaukee Composites will supply floor material.
- -Local businesses Columbia Body Manufacturing and Platt Electric Supply will also benefit by supplying materials to United Streetcar.
- -At the formal unveiling of United Streetcar's tram in Portland on July 1, 2009, Transportation Secretary LaHood said these are “the first streetcars to be manufactured in America in nearly 60 years.”
Related recent Blogs
- May 31, 2013 Headlines: A Make It In America campaign, adding currency to the TPP, and more. • by LRaup • 05/31/2013
- Buy American wins and losses in Texas. • by scapozzola • 05/29/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013
- Promise on the horizon for American solar • by mmcmullan • 05/14/2013
- May 14, 2013 Headlines: Redefining success, building Amtrak, banning Tesla, and more... • by LDonia • 05/14/2013
- New American-made locomotives unveiled. • by scapozzola • 05/13/2013