$29.00 for a brand new DVD player sound too good to be true? It is...and China is to blame.
Posted by jeckert on 09/01/2009
China may get away with making things inexpensively, but that doesn't come without a cost. In the case of super-cheap DVD players made by a Chinese manufacturer, that cost is life-threatening. Customers, who purchased the DVD players from Walmart for $29.00, reported 14 cases of overheating and seven fires due to the poorly made electronic devices. Since the reported incidents, Walmart has issued a recall on all of the Chinese-made DVD players. This just goes to show that what appears "cheaper" on the surface, is not necessarily the best bet in the long run. Read more about the DVD player recall here.
Related recent Blogs
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- January 15, 2013 Headlines: the manufacturing skills vs. salary gap discussion continues, and more... • by LDonia • 01/15/2013
- Congress passes bill to address toxic drywall from China • by scapozzola • 01/03/2013
- Just in time for the holidays...a recall on a Chinese-made toy • by LDonia • 12/11/2012
- CPSC announces recall of Chinese-made infant travel bed • by LDonia • 11/19/2012
- Getting last minute Halloween costumes? Buyer beware! • by LDonia • 10/31/2012
- Say no to unsafe pet food from China. • by scapozzola • 10/18/2012
- Yet ANOTHER unsafe children's product from China: lead-contaminated Halloween costumes • by scapozzola • 10/16/2012
- Unsafe pet food from China prompts upcoming "Black Friday" protests at Wal-Mart • by scapozzola • 10/16/2012
- Election cycle debates 0-2 on China, jobs, manufacturing questions • by LDonia • 10/12/2012