Are Your Meds Safe?
Posted by jeckert on 07/15/2010
Two years after tainted Heparin, imported from China, killed 81 Americans, little has changed to ensure that pharmaceuticals imported from China are safe, according to an investigative report by CNN. CNN reporter Lisa Sylvester discovered that the FDA knows that Heparin, a blood thinner manufactured in China, was deliberately tampered with, but not one knows how it occurred or who did it. In addition, the Food and Drug Administration admits it does not currently have the resources or authority to prevent future batches of tainted drugs from China entering the U.S. market. That is a concern for Americans because 61 percent of the analgesic ibuprofen sold in America and 94 percent of the antibiotic tetracycline are manufactured in China. Michael Wessel, a member of the U.S. China Economic Security Review Commission (USCC), said Chinese regulation is rampant with corruption and incentives for Chinese factories is to improve the local economy, not produce a quality product. “It is really a ticking time bomb,” he said of the situation. See CNN's coverage here.
Related recent Blogs
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- May 15, 2013 Headlines: U.S. manufacturing slows, while manufacturers discuss domestic production, and more... • by LDonia • 05/15/2013
- May 14, 2013 Headlines: Redefining success, building Amtrak, banning Tesla, and more... • by LDonia • 05/14/2013
- May 10 2013 Headlines: Obama's focus on manufacturing, U.S.-South Korea summit, and more. • by LRaup • 05/10/2013
- May 8, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-China cyber-spying, April job openings, and more. • by LRaup • 05/08/2013