"A drop in a huge bucket."
Posted by scapozzola on 06/29/2010
U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) has written an excellent piece on China's recent head fake regarding its ongoing currency manipulation. For those of you who missed it, Beijing recently offered a few promising statements ahead of the G-20, in which they suggested they would start to "gradually" adjust their undervalued currency. After a few incrementals nudges, however, they've slipped back to business as usual--a preferential exchange rate that helps boost their exports. In response, Sen. Brown has taken Beijing to task, saying, "We’ve seen China take actions like this before when the spotlight is on, and then revert back to old tricks." He calls China's recent, miniscule currency adjustments a "drop in a huge bucket":
"Too many Ohio manufacturers continue to face unfair competition from China and congressional action is long overdue. I will continue to work with Senators Schumer and Graham to move our legislation which cracks down on Chinese currency manipulation."Read more.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- S&ED Talks with China Serve Up a Big Ol' Nothingburger • by mmcmullan • 07/10/2014
- Updated: A Strategic and Economic Dialogue with China Must Include Accountability • by TGarland • 07/09/2014
- As American as Apple Pie — But Made Overseas • by TGarland • 07/02/2014
- AAM’s Scott Paul Talks #SOSJobs with Sen. Sherrod Brown on The Ed Schultz Show • by elizabethbb • 06/27/2014
- Senators Take Action to Punish Currency Manipulators • by TGarland • 06/26/2014
- Capitol Hill Shines Spotlight on #SOSJobs • by elizabethbb • 06/25/2014
- No More Excuses About the Economy. It's Time for Action. • by elizabethbb • 06/12/2014