A field report from the 'America's Future Now' Conference
Posted by admin on 06/07/2010
AAM Field Coordinator Mark Musho has posted the following report from day one of the America's Future Now conference in Washington, DC...
Progressives and various left-leaning advocacy groups descended on the nation's capital today in an effort to re-energize their base and set a progressive vision and agenda for the future. The Campaign for America’s Future kicked off their three-day “America’s Future NOW” conference today at The Omni Shoreham and the event will run June 7-9. CAF Co-director Robert Borosage challenged the early morning crowd to work together to develop an economic and political agenda for change, and to find innovative organizing strategies for taking that agenda to the country. While jobs and the economy will be at the center of discussion other items such as the BP oil leak garnered plenty of attention. Green for All’s Phaeda Ellis-Lamkins set the tone early when she said “If BP was a foreign country what they did would be an act of war." Illyse Hogue of Moveon.org added, “A spill is what a 3-year-old does with his milk. BP took a calculated gamble with years of help from our government." Workshops throughout the event will cover a wide array of topics including: "Holding Congress Accountable," “Green Jobs and Reversing Climate Change,” “Fair Taxes,” and “Retirement Insecurity”-- just to name a few. It is also obvious that this group plans to implement their agenda with or without the help of the current administration as the crowd was constantly reminded not to sit and wait for the President to do the work that needs to be done. It lends itself to what looks to be an interesting week.
Related recent Blogs
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013