Notes from the Road: The return of 'Exile on Main Street'
Posted by scapozzola on 05/29/2010
The Rolling Stones have re-released their landmark 1972 album EXILE ON MAIN STREET, newly remastered and with bonus tracks. In a recent Notes from the Road I ranked EXILE as the #1 album of all time. Regarding the Stones in recent years, I've seen them four times. Some of it was great. And some of it wasn't so good. The point here is to discuss how the Stones in '72 were arguably the mightiest, most vital rock 'n roll band ever. And so, the re-release of EXILE deserves some comment. The best way for me to do this, though, is to quote part of a recent email from guitarist Peter Grennan. After watching some footage of the Stones during their American tour in '72, Grennan wrote a summary of why the Stones were so great back in the heady days of EXILE:
You know, I can honestly say that I am more smitten with the Rolling Stones' music now than I have ever been. My love seems to continue to grow each year. I’ve been doing a lot of headphone listening lately, going through the official catalogue, bootlegs, live shows. I keep picking up on new things I’ve never heard before – vocal inflections, guitar nuances, mixing techniques. I spent several hours watching my “Ladies and Gentlemen” DVD of the '72 tour this past weekend. Without any question, Keith Richards in this incarnation is hands-down the absolute coolest rock musician of all time. Number one, alone at the top of the heap. I was watching with amazement anew. The look, the moves, the driving playing, the leadership. Nothing contrived, just pure genuine rock ecstasy emanating from his core. He’s dripping with coolness and bad-ass attitude. Ineluctable beauty to behold. It never has and never will get better than Keith in 1972. Anyhow, those were my thoughts as I was absorbed in the movie.I'd have to agree with Peter. The Stones and "Keef" were at the top of their game, a big #1, in 1972. EXILE ON MAIN STREET is worth checking out.
Related recent Blogs
- Why Biden's visit to Ohio CSX terminal is a pretty big deal • by LDonia • 11/06/2013
- November 5, 2013: Apple's new Made in the U.S.A. commitment dwarfs Walmart's • by mmcmullan • 11/05/2013
- Oh yes: A Made in America Girl Scout project • by mmcmullan • 10/15/2013
- What’s in a name? Is the Made In America Festival really all that Made In America? • by mmcmullan • 08/29/2013
- Governors applaud Made in the USA, but do their laws support American manufacturing? • by TGarland • 08/23/2013
- AAM Field Coordinators discuss manufacturing issues in the states • by LDonia • 08/12/2013
- WATCH: NYC bridge steel outsourced to China • by scapozzola • 08/09/2013
- Did you miss the "Want Jobs? Do This." hangout last month? Watch here. • by TGarland • 08/06/2013
- New Amtrak trains, made in USA • by scapozzola • 07/31/2013
- USW's Leo Gerard: NYC's MTA is making excuses to avoid buying American-made steel. • by scapozzola • 07/24/2013