It's about Time
Posted by jeckert on 05/21/2010
Next Monday and Tuesday (May 24-25), officialss from the U.S. and China will convene in Beijing for the U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue (S&ED). Hopes are high that the U.S. will make progress in getting China to revalue the yuan as well as amend a number of other trade practices. To get up to speed on what has gone on in U.S.-China trade in 2010, here's a timeline of the tangled web of relations between the two economic powers. A few dates to note:
- March 15 - One hundred and thirty members of the U.S. Congress issue a letter demanding more pressure on China to let its appreciate. The next day, a bipartisan bill on the issue goes before the Senate.
- April 3 - U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner says he is delaying an April 15 report on whether China manipulates its currency but vows to press for a more flexible Chinese currency exchange rate policy.
- April 8 - Geithner briefly visits Beijing, holding talks with Chinese Vice Premier Wang Qishan.
- April 12-13 - Obama hosts a multi-nation nuclear security summit in Washington that is attended by Chinese President Hu Jintao.
- May 16-26 - U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke leads trade mission to Hong Kong, China and Indonesia, promoting deals with American companies in clean energy.
- May 24-25 - Senior officials from the United States and China are due to meet in Beijing for Strategic and Economic Dialogue, an annual meeting to discuss broad economic, foreign policy and security concerns. The U.S. side will be led by Secs. Clinton and Geithner.
Related recent Blogs
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- May 15, 2013 Headlines: U.S. manufacturing slows, while manufacturers discuss domestic production, and more... • by LDonia • 05/15/2013
- May 14, 2013 Headlines: Redefining success, building Amtrak, banning Tesla, and more... • by LDonia • 05/14/2013
- May 10 2013 Headlines: Obama's focus on manufacturing, U.S.-South Korea summit, and more. • by LRaup • 05/10/2013
- May 8, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-China cyber-spying, April job openings, and more. • by LRaup • 05/08/2013
- Chinese military is hacking U.S. government's computers • by scapozzola • 05/07/2013
- May 7, 2013 Headlines: GM denies, Obama blames, Safety Advocates scrutinze, and more... • by LDonia • 05/07/2013