Miley May Party in the U.S.A., but unfortunately her (toxic) jewelry is made elsewhere...
Posted by jeckert on 05/20/2010
Miley Cyrus' new bad girl image may not be good for your kids, but her line of jewelry is worse. The jewelry intended for children and young teens contains high levels of the toxic metal cadmium, which is known to cause bone softening, kidney failure, and to hinder brain development in the very young. Unfortunately, it's still being found on Walmart's shelves. The worst part? Wal-Mart was aware of the toxicity of the jewelry, yet did nothing to prevent it. Due to pressure from the feds, the superstore giant said yesterday it is pulling the entire Miley Cyrus line of necklaces and bracelets from shelves. ManufactureThis reported recently on Wal-Mart taking preventative measures to test their products for cadmium well before they hit stores. However, this policy, released in a statement on Aril 26, only applied for products that were not already on shelves. According to a Wal-Mart executive at a Consumer Product Safety Commission hearing, testing items already in stores would be "too difficult." The pieces in the Miley Cyrus line of jewelry, which tested very high for cadmium (a known carcinogen), were all purchased for less than $6 and made in China. Read more here.
Related recent Blogs
- Really, we're begging: Stop feeding your pets Made in China pet food and treats • by LDonia • 10/23/2013
- Eight years after Katrina: How we can stop outsourcing America's rebuilds • by LDonia • 08/28/2013
- Grown in America, processed in China, sold in America: A case of globetrotting chickens • by LDonia • 08/19/2013
- August 12, 2013 Headlines: 10 manufacturing states, 6 months after SOTU, 1 manufacturing high school, and more. • by LDonia • 08/12/2013
- More on the politics of pork as Senators discuss the Smithfield sale • by mmcmullan • 07/11/2013
- Make the right choice for your pet -- buy American-made • by TGarland • 06/17/2013
- Why you should be keeping close watch on President Obama's meeting with China's President Xi Jinping. • by LDonia • 06/07/2013
- June 6, 2013 Headlines: The economy's impact on U.S.-China relations, blocking the U.S.-EU trade deal, and more. • by LRaup • 06/06/2013
- Pigging out: Chinese company to buy Smithfield Foods • by mmcmullan • 05/30/2013
- Chinese firm purchases U.S. ham producer • by scapozzola • 05/29/2013