Zippo makes its 500 millionth lighter in the USA
The iconic Zippo Lighter is proudly made in USA-- in Bradford, Pennsylvania. Since 1937, the company has been manufacturing top-of-the-line lighters backed with an all-purpose guarantee of "Always works—or we fix it."
As Fox News reports, the company just passed a new milestone-- 500 million lighters made in the U.S.
Unfortunately, counterfeit Zippo lighters from China are coming back to the company in need of repair.
Zippo manufactures 12 million lighters a year, but it's estimated that Chinese factories manufacture 12 million counterfeits annually. These cheap knockoffs do not have Zippo's famous durability, and the company finds itself being asked to repair them.
Counterfeiting and piracy are rampant in China, and pose unfair challenges for quality U.S. manufacturers. Read more about the battle that Zippo faces.
Related recent Blogs
- December 13, 2013: More Boeing trouble bubbles • by mmcmullan • 12/13/2013
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013