Your home doesn't need to be Made in China
At ManufactureThis, we often write about consumer decisions, and how the choices consumers make can affect supply and demand.
It raises a question of course -- how many people have to demand something before a company increases the supply?
In the case of Marnie Oursler, just one.
Oursler, founder of Marnie Homes in Bethany Beach, DE, began improving homes, and building brand new houses, back in 2004. Since then, she's been on a quest to show that one can build a house using American-made products for basically the same price as imported products, and also benefit from superior quality.
Oursler's objectives were not overlooked; an executive at 84 Lumber took note. He contacted Oursler looking for a partnership.
According to Delaware Today:
In August, (Oursler) and 84 Lumber joined forces. The company has since found a way to make more American materials readily available, based on her action plan, and she has become the face of 84’s Build American campaign, a contractor who has proven that building American doesn’t cost a fortune. 'We found that it’s pretty easy to do,' says Jeff Nobers, vice president of marketing for 84 Lumber.
One person's ambition to create a (95%) American-made house led to an entire campaign dedicated to building American-made homes. Small actions can have big outcomes.
How will you affect supply and demand today?
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013