YET AGAIN: It's the economy!!!!!! A new Gallup poll shows Americans are most concerned about jobs, not the deficit.
We've said this umpteen times: It's not the budget deficit that matters most. It's the JOBS deficit that Washington needs to be focusing on first.
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul has been urging this point for months. In April he penned a strongly worded editorial:
...our political culture is obsessed with the wrong deficit. Yes, the American people want to put our government's fiscal house in order. But, more than anything else, the American people want jobs. And it doesn't take an economist to understand that if we create more jobs, our nation's fiscal position will improve.
Little surprise, then, that a new Gallup poll finds almost 9 in 10 Americans say that "now is not a good time to find a job." On the subject of the economy, Gallup reports that 74% of Americans see the economy as the nation's top problem.
It seems a no-brainer that Congress and the Administration should be working 24/7 to put America back to work. What's needed are Middle Class jobs, especially in the manufacturing sector.
Right now is the time to boost manufacturing. Read more about a national manufacturing strategy.
Related recent Blogs
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013