Yay! Team USA will wear Made in the USA to the Sochi Olympic Games
Remember when U.S. Olympians wore Ralph Lauren uniforms that were made in China to the London games?
We do, and, apparently, so does Ralph Lauren; the American clothing company announced this morning that Team USA's Ralph Lauren gear will proudly display the Made in USA label at the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
The company established a network of domestic manufacturers to make the uniforms. Samantha Critchell of the Associated Press reports the details:
They used more than 40 vendors, from ranchers in the rural West to yarn spinners in Pennsylvania to sewers in New York’s Garment District for the closing ceremony outfits unveiled Tuesday. The ensemble includes a navy peacoat with a red stripe, a classic ski sweater with a reindeer motif and a hand-sewn American flag, and a tasseled chunky-knit hat.
While Ralph Lauren only makes the opening and closing ceremony outfits, other companies that dress U.S. Olympians like The North Face have committed to producing the athletes' gear in America.
We hope to see Ralph Lauren and other U.S. companies who dress Team USA commit fully to Made in the USA label. Ralph Lauren could use its new domestic manufacturing network to make other lines. It seems the company is taking the Made in the USA label seriously.
Oh, and how could we forget? GO TEAM USA!
Photo courtesy of Instagram user jessicaxmaria.
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- August 11, 2014: Chinese Textile Manufacturing ... in the Carolinas • by mmcmullan • 08/11/2014
- Maury’s clothing line: “Made in America, without compromise.” • by mmcmullan • 08/08/2014