Yay! Team USA will wear Made in the USA to the Sochi Olympic Games
Remember when U.S. Olympians wore Ralph Lauren uniforms that were made in China to the London games?
We do, and, apparently, so does Ralph Lauren; the American clothing company announced this morning that Team USA's Ralph Lauren gear will proudly display the Made in USA label at the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
The company established a network of domestic manufacturers to make the uniforms. Samantha Critchell of the Associated Press reports the details:
They used more than 40 vendors, from ranchers in the rural West to yarn spinners in Pennsylvania to sewers in New York’s Garment District for the closing ceremony outfits unveiled Tuesday. The ensemble includes a navy peacoat with a red stripe, a classic ski sweater with a reindeer motif and a hand-sewn American flag, and a tasseled chunky-knit hat.
While Ralph Lauren only makes the opening and closing ceremony outfits, other companies that dress U.S. Olympians like The North Face have committed to producing the athletes' gear in America.
We hope to see Ralph Lauren and other U.S. companies who dress Team USA commit fully to Made in the USA label. Ralph Lauren could use its new domestic manufacturing network to make other lines. It seems the company is taking the Made in the USA label seriously.
Oh, and how could we forget? GO TEAM USA!
Photo courtesy of Instagram user jessicaxmaria.
Related recent Blogs
- What good's a trade agreement if you don't enforce the on-the-books trade rules? • by mmcmullan • 03/11/2014
- A National Manufacturing Strategy could be the "be all, end all" for depressed wages • by LRaup • 03/11/2014
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- March 10, 2014: Making moves for manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014