WTO sides with U.S. on China's auto tariffs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement.
Today, the World Trade Organization (WTO) announced a favorable ruling for the U.S. regarding illegal tariffs imposed by China on exports of U.S.-produced cars and SUVs.
Commented Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
“Today’s ruling is further proof that China has repeatedly violated the rules of world trade. Not content to simply manipulate its currency and massively subsidize exports, Beijing has also acted to protect its market with illegal tariffs on U.S. products.
“We commend the administration for pressing this case at the WTO and urge them to move forward on other vital trade actions, including practices that target the U.S. auto and auto parts sectors.
“America’s automotive industry and its manufacturing supplier base are key components of the nation’s economy and deserve Washington’s full support.”
An Attack on the American Auto Parts Industry. Three separate reports released in January of 2012 found that China's use of illegal government subsidies and a web of predatory trade practices have undercut companies in the U.S. auto supply chain. The reports concluded that more than 400,000 jobs in the U.S. auto supply chain have been lost since 2000, and another 1.6 million U.S. jobs are at risk unless China's illegal trading practices are curtailed.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014