WTO sides with U.S. on China's auto tariffs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement.
Today, the World Trade Organization (WTO) announced a favorable ruling for the U.S. regarding illegal tariffs imposed by China on exports of U.S.-produced cars and SUVs.
Commented Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
“Today’s ruling is further proof that China has repeatedly violated the rules of world trade. Not content to simply manipulate its currency and massively subsidize exports, Beijing has also acted to protect its market with illegal tariffs on U.S. products.
“We commend the administration for pressing this case at the WTO and urge them to move forward on other vital trade actions, including practices that target the U.S. auto and auto parts sectors.
“America’s automotive industry and its manufacturing supplier base are key components of the nation’s economy and deserve Washington’s full support.”
An Attack on the American Auto Parts Industry. Three separate reports released in January of 2012 found that China's use of illegal government subsidies and a web of predatory trade practices have undercut companies in the U.S. auto supply chain. The reports concluded that more than 400,000 jobs in the U.S. auto supply chain have been lost since 2000, and another 1.6 million U.S. jobs are at risk unless China's illegal trading practices are curtailed.
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- August 8, 2014: Maury is a close second to trade data in our book • by mmcmullan • 08/08/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014