WTO sides with U.S. on China rare earth restraints: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement
This morning, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman announced that the World Trade Organization (WTO) has agreed with the United States in its case against China’s export restraints of rare earth metals.
Commented Scott Paul, president of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM):
“This WTO action is a step in the right direction, and we’re pleased USTR took the initiative in 2012 to launch a rare earth minerals case. China’s export restraints on rare earth minerals have contributed to the loss of American production and jobs, particularly in advanced technology products. These restrictions have also raised important national security concerns about a reliance on foreign suppliers for our military supply chain. These metals are used in crucial missile guidance systems and aircraft components, and it is troubling that we are almost entirely reliant on the Chinese government for access to them.
“The administration must aggressively enforce existing trade laws to ensure China complies with today’s ruling while we work to expand our domestic production and processing of rare earth materials.”
READ: A May 2013 report by Brigadier General John Adams (U.S. Army, retired) found that the health of the America’s defense industrial base is in jeopardy because of an over-reliance on foreign suppliers for critical defense materials.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014