WSJ: Just how powerful are China’s state-owned firms?
A new report released by the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission (USCC) says that state-owned and state-controlled companies make up about 50% of China’s economy.
If this seems a bit “anti-capitalist,” that may be because, according to the report: “China’s communist party isn’t interested in the country ‘becoming a bastion of free market enterprise.’” China’s large cache of state-owned firms helps Beijing pursue unfair and inequitable procurement and trade practices, which wind up hurting Chinese trade partners – like the U.S.
“The [Chinese] firms can compete unfairly internationally… because they can get below-market interest rates from state owned banks, favorable tax treatments and capital injections if they run into trouble.”
In the article, United Steelworkers (USW) International President Leo Gerard also pointed out: “Having state-owned enterprises doing business in the U.S. presents many risks… Chinese state-owned enterprises have advantages that most shareholder-owned companies do not, which creates an unfair and uncompetitive market.”
Click here for the Wall Street Journal article.
Click here to read the full report (pdf).
Related recent Blogs
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013