A Wisconsin focus on manufacturing
Regardless of how long it takes D.C. to dig out from this snowstorm, your friends at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) are headed to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 26. We’re sure they know how to handle some snow!
Ahead of our trip, AAM President Scott Paul talked with Rich Rovito of the Wisconsin Manufacturing Extension Partnership. Paul stressed that 2014 must be a year-of-action for manufacturing. Rovito writes:
He applauded an initiative at the federal level to focus on skills development and training, specifically for careers in manufacturing.
Paul also believes that President Barack Obama’s ongoing focus on manufacturing could pay dividends for the sector in the long run, particularly when it comes to recruiting workers to fill open jobs.
“The most valuable thing he can do is to continue to talk about (manufacturing),” Paul said. “It sends a very strong message.”
Wisconsin is at the center of the manufacturing conversation. President Obama stopped at a GE Plant in Waukesha, in fact, during his post-State of the Union road trip. He advocated for job training for manufacturing workers. Here's a little more from Rovito:
Obama claimed “folks can make a lot more, potentially, with skilled manufacturing or the trades than with an art history degree.” The gist of the president’s message was that students don’t necessarily need a four-year college education to succeed if they develop the necessary skills and get the appropriate training to work in a manufacturing environment.
AAM will host an event in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 26 at 4:30 p.m. RSVP here.
And Scott Paul will speak at the WMEP Manufacturing Matters! Conference on February 27.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014