A Wisconsin focus on manufacturing
Regardless of how long it takes D.C. to dig out from this snowstorm, your friends at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) are headed to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 26. We’re sure they know how to handle some snow!
Ahead of our trip, AAM President Scott Paul talked with Rich Rovito of the Wisconsin Manufacturing Extension Partnership. Paul stressed that 2014 must be a year-of-action for manufacturing. Rovito writes:
He applauded an initiative at the federal level to focus on skills development and training, specifically for careers in manufacturing.
Paul also believes that President Barack Obama’s ongoing focus on manufacturing could pay dividends for the sector in the long run, particularly when it comes to recruiting workers to fill open jobs.
“The most valuable thing he can do is to continue to talk about (manufacturing),” Paul said. “It sends a very strong message.”
Wisconsin is at the center of the manufacturing conversation. President Obama stopped at a GE Plant in Waukesha, in fact, during his post-State of the Union road trip. He advocated for job training for manufacturing workers. Here's a little more from Rovito:
Obama claimed “folks can make a lot more, potentially, with skilled manufacturing or the trades than with an art history degree.” The gist of the president’s message was that students don’t necessarily need a four-year college education to succeed if they develop the necessary skills and get the appropriate training to work in a manufacturing environment.
AAM will host an event in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on February 26 at 4:30 p.m. RSVP here.
And Scott Paul will speak at the WMEP Manufacturing Matters! Conference on February 27.
Related recent Blogs
- What good's a trade agreement if you don't enforce the on-the-books trade rules? • by mmcmullan • 03/11/2014
- A National Manufacturing Strategy could be the "be all, end all" for depressed wages • by LRaup • 03/11/2014
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- March 10, 2014: Making moves for manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014