Why is 'Iron Man 3' being Made in China?
How strange is this: After the success of the first two Iron Man movies, Hollywood wants to inexplicably tinker with their format.
Instead of engineering another molten-metal hit in the U.S., the Walt Disney Co. has announced that 'Iron Man 3' will be produced in China by DMG Entertainment of Beijing.
What a bummer, huh? The previous two Iron Man movies were cast-iron success stories, and we enjoyed the underlying message that "tinkering" in a lab can be fun, and that building things really does matter when it comes to innovation.
Essentially, Iron Man showed that manufacturing can be high-tech and modern. So what does it say when suddenly Iron Man has to be made in China, too?
EDITOR'S UPDATE (4/18): An astute reader brought it to our attention that some of the work for the Iron Man 3 movie is being done in North Carolina with union labor. We didn’t get the story 100% right, and relied on media reports that did not mention the production in North Carolina. But…the larger point stands.
Related recent Blogs
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013