Obama's manufacturing push: overdue and outdated?
Is President Obama finally following through on his promise to boost American manufacturing? He’s certainly been making the manufactuing rounds and talking the manufacturing talk. But the initiatives that the president has been touting as part of his recent manufacturing tour focus primarily on pre-recession problems and reflect the Administration’s disconnect from Main Street, reports Politico.
“These policies will help further down the road,” said Scott Paul, executive director of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) in a recent interview with Politico’s Josh Boak. “But it’s also correct to say, ‘Show me the jobs now.’ That is where there’s been a bit of a gap.”
Even though Administration officials were briefed last year on an AAM poll that showed factory layoffs topped the list of concerns for voters in battleground states, the Administration has not focused on this issue—something Scott Paul believes is related to the “elitist” mentality of Obama’s advisors:
"'Because the president’s economic advisers largely hail from Wall Street and academia, there seems to be less of a commitment to manufacturing inside the West Wing than throughout the rest of the country', Paul said."
“Where it seems to break down is along these elitist lines,” he said. “Most of the think tanks and Wall Street infrastructure view manufacturing as being yesterday instead of tomorrow”
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014