White House to Congress: Pass an infrastructure bill!
President Obama looks out at the new Tappan Zee Bridge under construction in Tarrytown, NY pic.twitter.com/PyHwemx3rq— petesouza (@petesouza) May 14, 2014
Yesterday, President Obama was up on the Hudson River, just above New York City, at the site of the reconstruction of the Tappan Zee Bridge (being built with American-made steel, natch). Pass my $302 billion infrastructure bill, he told Congress.
Meanwhile, Vice President Joe Biden visited at a rail maintenance facility in Cleveland. “We need $3.6 trillion in new investment in infrastructure in America by 2020 to meet the needs of a growing vibrant population,” he told the gathered press.
And today, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx joined labor leaders at AFL-CIO headquarters in Washington, DC for a rally. The message was, you bet, similar:
What’s it with all of these cabinet secretaries and vice presidents and presidents out stumping for the same thing at the same time? Well, it’s Infrastructure Week. And the White House wants to raise awareness about the looming transportation funding shortfall. If the Highway Trust Fund -- which annually finances about $50 billion worth of bridge, road, and rail projects around the country -- runs dry, as it will this summer without a Congressional fix, it’s gonna put a serious hurt on the domestic economy.
We’ll be watching this summer as Washington wrassles with doing the right thing and getting a much-needed infrastructure bill passed.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014