White House to Congress: Pass an infrastructure bill!
President Obama looks out at the new Tappan Zee Bridge under construction in Tarrytown, NY pic.twitter.com/PyHwemx3rq— petesouza (@petesouza) May 14, 2014
Yesterday, President Obama was up on the Hudson River, just above New York City, at the site of the reconstruction of the Tappan Zee Bridge (being built with American-made steel, natch). Pass my $302 billion infrastructure bill, he told Congress.
Meanwhile, Vice President Joe Biden visited at a rail maintenance facility in Cleveland. “We need $3.6 trillion in new investment in infrastructure in America by 2020 to meet the needs of a growing vibrant population,” he told the gathered press.
And today, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx joined labor leaders at AFL-CIO headquarters in Washington, DC for a rally. The message was, you bet, similar:
What’s it with all of these cabinet secretaries and vice presidents and presidents out stumping for the same thing at the same time? Well, it’s Infrastructure Week. And the White House wants to raise awareness about the looming transportation funding shortfall. If the Highway Trust Fund -- which annually finances about $50 billion worth of bridge, road, and rail projects around the country -- runs dry, as it will this summer without a Congressional fix, it’s gonna put a serious hurt on the domestic economy.
We’ll be watching this summer as Washington wrassles with doing the right thing and getting a much-needed infrastructure bill passed.
Related recent Blogs
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014