White House announces competition to create three new manufacturing institutes
As you probably know, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) takes President Obama's promise to create new manufacturing jobs quite seriously. In fact, when the president set a benchmark of 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term, we were so thrilled, we developed the #AAMeter to track his progress.
But alas, the #AAMeter has not seen much movement during the first few months of President Obama's second term. In fact, the most recent jobs data, released this past Friday, shows manufacturing jobs have plateaued.
So, it was somewhat heartening this morning to hear that President Obama still remembers his campaign promise.
Today the White House announced a competition for three new manufacturing institutes, as a means of investing in the U.S. manufacturing base.
The Department of Defense will run two of the new institutes, which is quite timely, given the release of a report yesterday that shows the U.S. military growing more dependent on overseas suppliers, including China. The Department of Energy will run the third institute.
Read more about the initiative.
Related recent Blogs
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013