Whirlpool CEO says products can be made, cost effectively, in the United States
By next year, 100% of the washers Whirpool sells in the U.S., will have been made in the United States.
This is notable as Whirpool’s CEO Jeff Fettig recently spoke to the Toledo Rotary Club about claims made by some companies that it isn’t cost effective to manufacture in the U.S.
According to Tyrel Linkhorn in The Toledo Blade, 82% of what Whirpool sells in the U.S.A. is made in the U.S.A. Says Linkhorn:
The company's labor and benefit costs are considerably higher in Ohio than they would be in some other countries, but Mr. Fettig said they're more than offset by productivity gains and money saved in logistics.
In general, Mr. Fettig said he doesn't buy claims that companies can't manufacture their products cost effectively in the United States. He believes the offshoring storm has calmed, and expects to see some operations continue to shift back to U.S. soil.
Read more here.
Image by Flickr user View of the World, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013