What is the impact of lost manufacturing jobs on the rest of the economy?
Let's say you own a local restaurant. The folks who eat lunch there every day, or bring their family for dinner every Friday night-- those are your regular customers. They help to keep you in business.
But let's say those people lose their jobs. They can't afford to eat out any more. They stop coming to your restaurant. Your business declines. Then, you're out of business.
In a Business News Daily opinion piece, Jeanette Mulvey asks, "What happens when we lose our manufacturing jobs?"
In the last decade, America lost one third (5.73 million) of its manufacturing jobs. Where do you think those workers used to buy their groceries, get their cars fixed and go out to dinner? In your town. And, now, they are not. The impact of those job losses on the small business owners who depended on those employed workers to spend their money and help them pay their own employees is immeasurable.
Mulvey says part of the solution is for U.S. consumers to start buying American-made: "Ultimately, the power to bring back American jobs lies with every American armed with a credit card and a conscience."
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013