What are the mystery line structures that China is building in the Gobi Desert?
Google Maps has photographed some amazing, large-scale structures in China's Gobi Desert. The Daily Mail reports that the various line and grid-like structures are located on the borders of Gansu province and Xinjiang in northwestern China, an area that China "uses to build military, space and nuclear equipment."
The strange structures have sparked widespread internet debate, with some theories suggesting that the various grids and lines are being used as practice targets for military satellites.
The Daily Mail says part of the mystery is that it's unclear "what the structures are made of – whether they are painted on or dug into the landscape."
Adding credence to speculation about a military use is the fact that "upon zooming in, planes and burnt-out trucks can be seen on some of the photographs, which hints that they may indeed be targets of some kind."
Related recent Blogs
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013