Well-played, Alec Baldwin
A belated ‘kudos’ from the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) to Alec Baldwin. The actor’s MSNBC news-themed talk show, Up Late with Alec Baldwin, started just over a week ago. The premiere episode featured a visit from New York City Democratic mayoral candidate Bill De Blasio.
Baldwin proved himself worthy of a shout-out when, in the first three minutes of the show, he brought up manufacturing.
Manufacturing jobs, which are typically middle class jobs, have been collapsing. And even in the last twelve years, we’ve lost 50 percent. We were reading Surowiecki’s piece in the New Yorker where he said that 50% of manufacturing jobs have evaporated between 2000 and 2011.
While De Blasio ultimately did not weigh-in on manufacturing jobs, and the importance of them to New York City’s economy, AAM is pleased to see a cable news personality recognizing the importance of the sector and raising the issue, unprompted, to a politician.
We’re hoping other cable news hosts take note!
Interested in the Surowiecki piece referenced? You can read it here.
Related recent Blogs
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013
- Surprise, surprise? Americans still say job creation should be top priority • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- December 3, 2013: One number shows a #MFG uptick. Does that mean more #MFG jobs? • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- Fmr. Transportaion Secretary Ray LaHood urges infrastructure investment • by TGarland • 12/02/2013
- The Computer Wore Heels: Check out "Top Secret Rosies" • by mmcmullan • 12/02/2013