Well-played, Alec Baldwin
A belated ‘kudos’ from the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) to Alec Baldwin. The actor’s MSNBC news-themed talk show, Up Late with Alec Baldwin, started just over a week ago. The premiere episode featured a visit from New York City Democratic mayoral candidate Bill De Blasio.
Baldwin proved himself worthy of a shout-out when, in the first three minutes of the show, he brought up manufacturing.
Manufacturing jobs, which are typically middle class jobs, have been collapsing. And even in the last twelve years, we’ve lost 50 percent. We were reading Surowiecki’s piece in the New Yorker where he said that 50% of manufacturing jobs have evaporated between 2000 and 2011.
While De Blasio ultimately did not weigh-in on manufacturing jobs, and the importance of them to New York City’s economy, AAM is pleased to see a cable news personality recognizing the importance of the sector and raising the issue, unprompted, to a politician.
We’re hoping other cable news hosts take note!
Interested in the Surowiecki piece referenced? You can read it here.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014