Week in Review: President Obama’s had ‘Enough’; House Subcommittee Examines the Wisdom of “Feeding the Dragon”; and More.
The President is finally showing signs of upping the pressure on China to clean up its trade act. It’s about time, too – a new report from the U.S.-China Commission (USCC) is raising some pretty startling concerns when it comes to U.S. dealings with Beijing.
This past Tuesday, the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia & the Pacific held a hearing entitled “Feeding the Dragon: Reevaluating U.S. Development Assistance to China.” Check out some of the highlights here.
It looks like GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney intends to stick by his tough rhetoric on China. Be sure to check Job Search to keep up-to-date with Romney and all the presidential candidates this cycle.
Of course, not all news is good news. Several high-profile construction projects – including the Freedom Tower in New York City and the Philadelphia Center City District – want to use Chinese-made glass instead of American-made, despite severe quality concerns with Chinese-sourced materials (see examples of faulty steel for the Oakland bay bridge, counterfeit electronics for the DoD, etc.)
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014