Week in Review: President Obama’s had ‘Enough’; House Subcommittee Examines the Wisdom of “Feeding the Dragon”; and More.
The President is finally showing signs of upping the pressure on China to clean up its trade act. It’s about time, too – a new report from the U.S.-China Commission (USCC) is raising some pretty startling concerns when it comes to U.S. dealings with Beijing.
This past Tuesday, the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia & the Pacific held a hearing entitled “Feeding the Dragon: Reevaluating U.S. Development Assistance to China.” Check out some of the highlights here.
It looks like GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney intends to stick by his tough rhetoric on China. Be sure to check Job Search to keep up-to-date with Romney and all the presidential candidates this cycle.
Of course, not all news is good news. Several high-profile construction projects – including the Freedom Tower in New York City and the Philadelphia Center City District – want to use Chinese-made glass instead of American-made, despite severe quality concerns with Chinese-sourced materials (see examples of faulty steel for the Oakland bay bridge, counterfeit electronics for the DoD, etc.)
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013
- Promise on the horizon for American solar • by mmcmullan • 05/14/2013