Week in Review: President Obama’s had ‘Enough’; House Subcommittee Examines the Wisdom of “Feeding the Dragon”; and More.
The President is finally showing signs of upping the pressure on China to clean up its trade act. It’s about time, too – a new report from the U.S.-China Commission (USCC) is raising some pretty startling concerns when it comes to U.S. dealings with Beijing.
This past Tuesday, the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia & the Pacific held a hearing entitled “Feeding the Dragon: Reevaluating U.S. Development Assistance to China.” Check out some of the highlights here.
It looks like GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney intends to stick by his tough rhetoric on China. Be sure to check Job Search to keep up-to-date with Romney and all the presidential candidates this cycle.
Of course, not all news is good news. Several high-profile construction projects – including the Freedom Tower in New York City and the Philadelphia Center City District – want to use Chinese-made glass instead of American-made, despite severe quality concerns with Chinese-sourced materials (see examples of faulty steel for the Oakland bay bridge, counterfeit electronics for the DoD, etc.)
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- What can we expect from the upcoming Treasury report on exchange rates? • by mmcmullan • 04/08/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014
- RADIO: Why is manufacturing important for job creation in Michigan (and the U.S.)? • by scapozzola • 04/07/2014