Water Infrastructure Investment is a Win for American workers
It’s official. President Obama signed an expansive water infrastructure bill into law today.
The Water Resources Reform and Development Act (WRRDA) authorizes $12.3 billion worth of flood control, wetlands restoration, harbor deepening, and inland waterways projects nationwide. Strong Buy America preferences for new water projects were included in the bill.
Bipartisan leadership from Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Sen. David Vitter (R-LA), Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV), and Rep. Bill Shuster (R-PA) ensured that our tax dollars will create and support American jobs.
Buy America laws establish a procurement preference for goods that are made in America when they are available in a sufficient quality and quantity and are competitively priced in the global marketplace. These preferences include common-sense waivers to alleviate any short-term market limitations when unreasonable cost, limited product availability, or other factors would be an impediment to a project’s completion.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing hopes that this strong bipartisan effort to create and support American jobs extends to the Highway Reauthorization Bill later this summer.
Related recent Blogs
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014