Water Infrastructure Investment is a Win for American workers
It’s official. President Obama signed an expansive water infrastructure bill into law today.
The Water Resources Reform and Development Act (WRRDA) authorizes $12.3 billion worth of flood control, wetlands restoration, harbor deepening, and inland waterways projects nationwide. Strong Buy America preferences for new water projects were included in the bill.
Bipartisan leadership from Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Sen. David Vitter (R-LA), Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV), and Rep. Bill Shuster (R-PA) ensured that our tax dollars will create and support American jobs.
Buy America laws establish a procurement preference for goods that are made in America when they are available in a sufficient quality and quantity and are competitively priced in the global marketplace. These preferences include common-sense waivers to alleviate any short-term market limitations when unreasonable cost, limited product availability, or other factors would be an impediment to a project’s completion.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing hopes that this strong bipartisan effort to create and support American jobs extends to the Highway Reauthorization Bill later this summer.
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014
- Secretary Foxx Wants YOU… to Do Something about Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 08/06/2014