Water Infrastructure Investment is a Win for American workers
It’s official. President Obama signed an expansive water infrastructure bill into law today.
The Water Resources Reform and Development Act (WRRDA) authorizes $12.3 billion worth of flood control, wetlands restoration, harbor deepening, and inland waterways projects nationwide. Strong Buy America preferences for new water projects were included in the bill.
Bipartisan leadership from Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Sen. David Vitter (R-LA), Rep. Nick Rahall (D-WV), and Rep. Bill Shuster (R-PA) ensured that our tax dollars will create and support American jobs.
Buy America laws establish a procurement preference for goods that are made in America when they are available in a sufficient quality and quantity and are competitively priced in the global marketplace. These preferences include common-sense waivers to alleviate any short-term market limitations when unreasonable cost, limited product availability, or other factors would be an impediment to a project’s completion.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing hopes that this strong bipartisan effort to create and support American jobs extends to the Highway Reauthorization Bill later this summer.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014