WATCH: What can the US learn from Germany about manufacturing?
There is really no evidence that unions cause that [outsourcing], part of it is a lack of a good manufacturing policy...Germany has $48/hour average wages in manufacturing and 23 percent of the German economy is manufacturing. The US average wage is $32/hour, but we have about half of the manufacturing that Germany has. [Outsourcing] has everything to do with trade policy and currency, health care costs and some other factors.
In an op-ed last year, Paul gives more evidence as to why the U.S. should look to Germany as an example in manufacturing:
Berlin’s strategy is paying off. While the U.S. ran a $540 billion trade deficit last year, Germany hasn’t run a trade deficit in decades. Its 2012 surplus was the second highest since 1950. Roughly one-fourth of its workforce is now employed in manufacturing -- and with all of those workers earning high wages, Germany has guaranteed itself a healthy middle class with the spending power and savings to weather future recessions.
What’s the quickest and most effective way to combat rising trade deficits, you ask? Stopping currency manipulation!
Related recent Blogs
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014