Wait, wait, Andrea Mitchell-- Rebuilding U.S. manufacturing won't cost money, but it will create jobs
In an MSNBC interview this afternoon, Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) explained why he was unhappy with the debt ceiling bill passed by Congress. As he tells MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell, the bill will do nothing to create jobs, or to address the troublingly high unemployment he sees in his district every day.
After Rep. Cummings makes the case for jobs, Mitchell says of a potential jobs plan, "I don't know how that happens." Her observation is, "Where are you going to find the money for any kind of jobs program?"
Unfortunately, Mitchell overlooks one key point: Rebuilding U.S. manufacturing won’t cost anything.
Bottom line: manufacturing creates jobs. Adopting key elements of a manufacturing plan on trade, taxes, and innovation won't cost money, but it will put the U.S. job engine in motion.
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014