WAIT-- How LITTLE DEBT does the U.S. government actually owe to China???
Ritholtz.com has posted a stunning pie chart by Political Calculations. Stunning because it reveals something that runs completely counter to conventional wisdom.
Their pie chart shows the differing percentages of U.S government debt (totaling more than $13.5 trillion) owed to various foreign countries, financial institutions, and business entities. The graph is pulled from U.S. Treasury Department data as of September 30, 2010.
What's the big surprise, you ask? U.S. debt to China accounts for a mere 9.5% of the total.
This very much debunks the myth that China has such tremendous leverage over the U.S. If anything, the American people do, judging by the 42.1% plurality stake owed to "U.S. Individuals and Institutions."
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013