Voters favor U.S. manufacturing and want action on China's cheating
Earlier this year, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) conducted a wide-ranging national poll that found strong common ground among voters across the political spectrum regarding the nation’s economic crisis. Specifically, Americans are united on some key issues, and voters are demanding that Washington act on jobs, especially in manufacturing.
With regard to U.S.-China trade, 6 in 10 Americans say we need to “get tough with China and use every possible means to stop their unfair trade practices…”
Interestingly, National Journal reports a similar finding today. Editor Matthew Cooper says that voters want action on China's currency manipulation, despite hesitation by the Administration and some members of Congress:
Similarly, the administration has been frosty toward the proposal being offered in Congress to place tariffs on Chinese goods if Beijing is found to be manipulating its currency to make its goods cheaper and more attractive to American consumers. Yet, 44 percent of voters backed the sanctions bill, 41 percent opposed it, and 15 percent said they didn’t know or refused to answer. In Congress, Pelosi has called the bill more important than the trade agreements, while House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, has expressed doubt about the wisdom of considering the legislation.
Related recent Blogs
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013