Voices from #SOSJobs: Rachel Thomas
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has joined workers across the country over the past several weeks to rally to Save Our Steel Jobs.
The reason: A surge of oil country tubular goods (OCTG) imports from several countries, including South Korea, are being dumped on the U.S. market. Backed by foreign subsides, these products are priced below fair value. The U.S. Department of Commerce is set to issue a ruling on the issue by July 10 that could impact thousands upon thousands of U.S. steel jobs.
Look, we’ll be upfront: The ins and outs of the case can appear pretty wonky. But this is something that will truly impact the lives of thousands upon thousands of U.S. steelworkers. These dedicated folks work hard and know they can compete with anyone in the world — all they want is a fair shot.
The personal stories we heard from the workers truly highlight the importance of this case. That’s why leading up to the Commerce Department’s decision, we’ll be featuring the stories of some of the workers we met at the rallies.
Up first is Rachel Thomas, who has worked at the Fairfield Works plant in Alabama for 11 years:
There’s still time to help Rachel and steelworkers nationwide. Click here to tell your elected officials that you are counting on them to stick up for workers like Rachel.
Related recent Blogs
- Faribault Woolen Mill Thriving in its Third Century of Business • by elizabethbb • 08/01/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014