VIDEO: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul discusses manufacturing jobs on MSNBC's Ed Show
Last night, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul appeared on MSNBC’s The Ed Schultz show to discuss U.S. manufacturing jobs, and how bolstering our industrial base could help solve some of our serious economic woes.
When asked what our economy and unemployment rate would look like had the U.S. not shed 5.5 million manufacturing jobs over the past decade, Paul painted a picture that is a far cry from our current reality:
"The unemployment rate would be about 5%, which would seem pretty good compared to what it is right now. We would have added about 8 million jobs overall to the economy if manufacturing would have grown along with the rest of the economy. ..[and] Our trade deficit in manufactured goods wouldn’t have quadrupled by 400%, and so we wouldn’t be borrowing as much from China."
And an important pont to ponder, according to Paul?
“Nearly every state budget in the entire United States would be in balance if we had just held our share of manufacturing jobs over the last decade because of the value and the income that that brings into the rest of the economy.”
Watch Scott Paul’s segment:
Watch the full segment:
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014