Veterans find new opportunities in manufacturing sector
Earlier this week,the United States took time to celebrate and honor its veterans.
A recently announced, new program does more than simply honor veterans, it gives them an opportunity to launch a career in manufacturing where they can use some of the skills they honed while serving in the military.
According to the Daily Beast:
It turns out that many companies are looking, with great success, at veterans like Lionel, both those just transitioning back to civilian life and those who have made that transition but are still looking for meaningful work. That is why the Manufacturing Institute, companies like GE, Alcoa, Boeing and Lockheed Martin, community colleges, veterans organizations, and others are launching a coalition to bolster the manufacturing talent pipeline by training veterans for jobs in advanced manufacturing.
The coalition also affords veterans the opportunity to train for positions where their skills might not yet be a perfect match. By assessing their existing skills against the ones required for manufacturing jobs, help employers can “effectively recruit, support, and mentor veterans in the civilian workforce.”
As part of its National Manufacturing Strategy, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has stressed the importance of technical and vocational training and education as a means for to revitalize America's manufacturing sector. This program takes a helpful step in that direction.
Read more here.
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014