The Veep heads to Asia, while Michigan Democrats and automakers press the "currency issue" in TPP talks
Vice President Biden will visit Asia next week to continue the Obama Administration’s commitment to its "Asia pivot." The veep will be visiting several Asian countries—namely China and Japan.
We’re hoping the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement and its (current lack of) currency provisions is discussed when the vice president visits Japan.
On a press call earlier this morning, a senior administration said:
The Vice President and Prime Minister Abe had a discussion about TPP and the role that it can play going forward in setting -- creating a new high-standard trade agreement for the region and for 40 percent of the world's economy when they met in Singapore. And the Vice President looks forward to picking up on that conversation in this period where discussions about bringing TPP to a positive conclusion. So you can bet that it will be an important part of his agenda in Tokyo when he is there with the Prime Minister.
But it seems that Detroit automakers and Michigan Democrats are becoming increasingly impatient with the Administration’s lack of attention to currency provisions in the TPP.
David Shepardson of the Detroit News reports that Michigan Democrats met at the White House with the veep and U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) Froman today.
“No trade agreement, including the Trans-Pacific Partnership, should undercut the vitality and competitiveness of Michigan workers,” said Rep. Dan Kildee, D-Flint. “Members of the Michigan delegation had a productive meeting with Vice President Biden to ensure that American workers are able to compete globally on a level playing field.”
We’re hoping the Aministration listens closely. 230 Representatives, 60 Senators, leading American manufacturers, and the nation's manufacturing workers have been pushing for currency provisions in the Pacific trade agreement.
Image by Flickr user Tschi, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014
- 86th Academy Awards: The Top 5 Manufacturing Movies • by scapozzola • 02/28/2014