Valentine's Day provides a great reason for buying decadent chocolate
Regardless of what you think of Valentine’s Day, one thing is undeniable – it’s almost here. We’ll skip the laundry list of gift suggestions, as that would be rather presumptuous.
Instead, here’s a list of American-made chocolates, from around the country – for gift purposes, or for yourself. You’re worth it.
Nashville, Tennessee-based Olive & Sinclair not only makes interesting and unique chocolates, but its wrapper design caught the eyes of actress Gwyneth Paltrow. (Her endorsement of the design features prominently on the company’s website.) Choose from fairly standard flavors or try something edgy like the Mexican Style Cinn-Chili.
Theo Chocolate, based in Seattle, not only has an online shop full of chocolate bars (with flavors like coconut curry, and Fig, Fennel & Almond), caramels, and confections, pictured above), but the company also hosts classes for those in the Seattle area. If you're not in the Pacific-Northwest, don't feel too left out. Theo Chocolate's website also has recipes.
Looking for something a little less artisan, but of no less quality? San Francisco-based Ghirardelli chocolate may be a good choice. Since 1852, the company has been making chocolate in California. Ghirardelli's website has a large assortment of chocolates to choose from, but if you prefer in-person sales, you can check the "Where to Buy" section.
Lest we skip chocolates from the east coast. Woodbridge, VA-based Potomac Chocolate touts its status as the "first bean-to-bar chocolate maker in the Washington, DC area," but you don't have to be anywhere near the beltway to sample the wares. In addition to the online shop, stores across the country stock Potomac Chocolates, check the site!
(Image by Flickr user mccun934, used following Creative Commons guidelines.)
Related recent Blogs
- Nanette Lepore's New Shoe • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013