Valentine's Day provides a great reason for buying decadent chocolate
Regardless of what you think of Valentine’s Day, one thing is undeniable – it’s almost here. We’ll skip the laundry list of gift suggestions, as that would be rather presumptuous.
Instead, here’s a list of American-made chocolates, from around the country – for gift purposes, or for yourself. You’re worth it.
Nashville, Tennessee-based Olive & Sinclair not only makes interesting and unique chocolates, but its wrapper design caught the eyes of actress Gwyneth Paltrow. (Her endorsement of the design features prominently on the company’s website.) Choose from fairly standard flavors or try something edgy like the Mexican Style Cinn-Chili.
Theo Chocolate, based in Seattle, not only has an online shop full of chocolate bars (with flavors like coconut curry, and Fig, Fennel & Almond), caramels, and confections, pictured above), but the company also hosts classes for those in the Seattle area. If you're not in the Pacific-Northwest, don't feel too left out. Theo Chocolate's website also has recipes.
Looking for something a little less artisan, but of no less quality? San Francisco-based Ghirardelli chocolate may be a good choice. Since 1852, the company has been making chocolate in California. Ghirardelli's website has a large assortment of chocolates to choose from, but if you prefer in-person sales, you can check the "Where to Buy" section.
Lest we skip chocolates from the east coast. Woodbridge, VA-based Potomac Chocolate touts its status as the "first bean-to-bar chocolate maker in the Washington, DC area," but you don't have to be anywhere near the beltway to sample the wares. In addition to the online shop, stores across the country stock Potomac Chocolates, check the site!
(Image by Flickr user mccun934, used following Creative Commons guidelines.)
Related recent Blogs
- An American-made case to protect your not so American-made phone • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- Postcard from Iowa: AAM Field Coordinators Hop The Fence, Hang With Democrats • by mmcmullan • 07/16/2014
- Yellen: Infrastructure Funding Would "Counter" Economic Headwinds • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014
- Let’s Build a Bridge and Fix the Highway Trust Fund • by elizabethbb • 07/15/2014