Valentine's Day provides a great reason for buying decadent chocolate
Regardless of what you think of Valentine’s Day, one thing is undeniable – it’s almost here. We’ll skip the laundry list of gift suggestions, as that would be rather presumptuous.
Instead, here’s a list of American-made chocolates, from around the country – for gift purposes, or for yourself. You’re worth it.
Nashville, Tennessee-based Olive & Sinclair not only makes interesting and unique chocolates, but its wrapper design caught the eyes of actress Gwyneth Paltrow. (Her endorsement of the design features prominently on the company’s website.) Choose from fairly standard flavors or try something edgy like the Mexican Style Cinn-Chili.
Theo Chocolate, based in Seattle, not only has an online shop full of chocolate bars (with flavors like coconut curry, and Fig, Fennel & Almond), caramels, and confections, pictured above), but the company also hosts classes for those in the Seattle area. If you're not in the Pacific-Northwest, don't feel too left out. Theo Chocolate's website also has recipes.
Looking for something a little less artisan, but of no less quality? San Francisco-based Ghirardelli chocolate may be a good choice. Since 1852, the company has been making chocolate in California. Ghirardelli's website has a large assortment of chocolates to choose from, but if you prefer in-person sales, you can check the "Where to Buy" section.
Lest we skip chocolates from the east coast. Woodbridge, VA-based Potomac Chocolate touts its status as the "first bean-to-bar chocolate maker in the Washington, DC area," but you don't have to be anywhere near the beltway to sample the wares. In addition to the online shop, stores across the country stock Potomac Chocolates, check the site!
(Image by Flickr user mccun934, used following Creative Commons guidelines.)
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014