U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood praises Buy America provisions
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) was pleased to see U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood’s blog post yesterday in praise of Buy America provisions.
Said LaHood in his post:
Our Buy America policies create and support good-paying jobs that benefit hardworking families and industries that are important to the American economy – industries from iron ore mining and steel production to rail manufacturing and electronics.
Since day one, we’ve made it tougher to bypass Buy America requirements. And we’re holding our own feet to the fire by posting waiver requests online and sharing them through email alerts. This makes the process transparent. It also makes it easier for even the smallest American employers to seize a business opportunity making the parts sought in the waiver request.
These changes are making a difference. In the Federal Transit Administration alone, we have reduced Buy America waivers from more than 40 in 2009 to just 3 in 2012.
That means more jobs in America throughout the supply chain.
In 2010 AAM released a study showing that Buy America preferences are a proven job creation tool. By continuing to use Buy America provisions in infrastructure and other spending bills, the U.S. can ensure more Americans will be afforded a paycheck.
Related recent Blogs
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013