U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood praises Buy America provisions
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) was pleased to see U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood’s blog post yesterday in praise of Buy America provisions.
Said LaHood in his post:
Our Buy America policies create and support good-paying jobs that benefit hardworking families and industries that are important to the American economy – industries from iron ore mining and steel production to rail manufacturing and electronics.
Since day one, we’ve made it tougher to bypass Buy America requirements. And we’re holding our own feet to the fire by posting waiver requests online and sharing them through email alerts. This makes the process transparent. It also makes it easier for even the smallest American employers to seize a business opportunity making the parts sought in the waiver request.
These changes are making a difference. In the Federal Transit Administration alone, we have reduced Buy America waivers from more than 40 in 2009 to just 3 in 2012.
That means more jobs in America throughout the supply chain.
In 2010 AAM released a study showing that Buy America preferences are a proven job creation tool. By continuing to use Buy America provisions in infrastructure and other spending bills, the U.S. can ensure more Americans will be afforded a paycheck.
Related recent Blogs
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013