U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman promises substance in TPP
Certainly we’re going to let the substance of the negotiation determine ultimately the deadline.”
-U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) Michael Froman, 10.29.13
That's what we at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) like to hear. For months now, we’ve heard President Obama and others in his administration commit to completing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement by year-end. But it seems there are too many issues left unsettled to push a deal through so quickly.
Froman acknowledged some of those concerns on Tuesday morning:
The leaders have set the objective of completing negotiations this year. That’s an ambitious objective, and certainly we’re going to let the substance of the negotiation determine ultimately the deadline.
Froman also conceded that not all demands will be met in the final TPP agreement. AAM hopes Froman will hold firm on one suggestion: protecting U.S. companies from currency manipulation.
Several key leaders have spoken publicly about the need for currency manipulation provisions in the trade deal. 60 Senators and 230 House Representatives have signed letters to the Administration on this issue. And U.S. automakers have also expressed concern with Japan’s trade practices and limited access to that country’s auto markets.
We’re hoping such concerns translate into currency manipulation provisions in the trade deal. But we won’t hold our breath. You can urge President Obama to get tough on currency manipulation via the TPP.
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014
- Throwback Thursday: Obama promises 1 million new manufacturing jobs • by TGarland • 04/10/2014
- What can we expect from the upcoming Treasury report on exchange rates? • by mmcmullan • 04/08/2014
- Rep. Tonko brings filmmakers to Washington to talk American manufacturing • by TGarland • 04/08/2014
- RADIO: Why is manufacturing important for job creation in Michigan (and the U.S.)? • by scapozzola • 04/07/2014