U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman promises substance in TPP
Certainly we’re going to let the substance of the negotiation determine ultimately the deadline.”
-U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) Michael Froman, 10.29.13
That's what we at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) like to hear. For months now, we’ve heard President Obama and others in his administration commit to completing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement by year-end. But it seems there are too many issues left unsettled to push a deal through so quickly.
Froman acknowledged some of those concerns on Tuesday morning:
The leaders have set the objective of completing negotiations this year. That’s an ambitious objective, and certainly we’re going to let the substance of the negotiation determine ultimately the deadline.
Froman also conceded that not all demands will be met in the final TPP agreement. AAM hopes Froman will hold firm on one suggestion: protecting U.S. companies from currency manipulation.
Several key leaders have spoken publicly about the need for currency manipulation provisions in the trade deal. 60 Senators and 230 House Representatives have signed letters to the Administration on this issue. And U.S. automakers have also expressed concern with Japan’s trade practices and limited access to that country’s auto markets.
We’re hoping such concerns translate into currency manipulation provisions in the trade deal. But we won’t hold our breath. You can urge President Obama to get tough on currency manipulation via the TPP.
Related recent Blogs
- What good's a trade agreement if you don't enforce the on-the-books trade rules? • by mmcmullan • 03/11/2014
- A National Manufacturing Strategy could be the "be all, end all" for depressed wages • by LRaup • 03/11/2014
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014