U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman promises substance in TPP
Certainly we’re going to let the substance of the negotiation determine ultimately the deadline.”
-U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) Michael Froman, 10.29.13
That's what we at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) like to hear. For months now, we’ve heard President Obama and others in his administration commit to completing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement by year-end. But it seems there are too many issues left unsettled to push a deal through so quickly.
Froman acknowledged some of those concerns on Tuesday morning:
The leaders have set the objective of completing negotiations this year. That’s an ambitious objective, and certainly we’re going to let the substance of the negotiation determine ultimately the deadline.
Froman also conceded that not all demands will be met in the final TPP agreement. AAM hopes Froman will hold firm on one suggestion: protecting U.S. companies from currency manipulation.
Several key leaders have spoken publicly about the need for currency manipulation provisions in the trade deal. 60 Senators and 230 House Representatives have signed letters to the Administration on this issue. And U.S. automakers have also expressed concern with Japan’s trade practices and limited access to that country’s auto markets.
We’re hoping such concerns translate into currency manipulation provisions in the trade deal. But we won’t hold our breath. You can urge President Obama to get tough on currency manipulation via the TPP.
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014