U.S. trade deficit rises in February: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement
This morning, the U.S. Department of Commerce released the latest monthly U.S. trade figures.
- In February, the overall U.S. international goods and services trade deficit of $42.3 billion, up from $39.3 billion in January, revised.
- The combined January and February U.S. goods deficit with China was $48.7 billion, only slightly lower than the $51.2 billion over the same period in 2013.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
"One of the more overlooked factors in sluggish post-recession job growth is the rising trade deficit. It's not a good sign when the trade deficit goes up, because imbalances don't help create sustainable middle-class jobs.
"Until we get our own house in order by investing smartly in infrastructure, innovation, and workers, I see no reason for optimism. And with no apparent willingness on the part of the administration or Congress to systematically lower bilateral deficits with countries like China, I see plenty of reason to be pessimistic.
Related recent Blogs
- An American-made case to protect your not so American-made phone • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014