U.S. trade deficit declines in March: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement.
This morning, the U.S. Department of Commerce released the latest monthly U.S. trade figures.
- The overall U.S. international goods and services trade deficit declined in March to $40.4 billion, from $41.9 billion in February, revised.
- The U.S. goods deficit with China fell slightly in March to $20.4 billion, from $20.9 billion in February.
- The U.S. goods deficit with Japan rose in March to $5.9 billion, from $5.3 billion in February.
- The U.S. goods deficit with South Korea rose in March to $1.3 billion, from $1.0 billion in February.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
"Every dollar’s worth of trade deficit serves as a drag on economic growth, which means fewer job opportunities for American workers. A smart trade strategy starts with trade enforcement.
"If our workers and businesses have a level playing field here at home as well as in markets abroad, we will grow jobs. I was in Lorain, Ohio on Monday, where hundreds of jobs are in jeopardy because of dumped steel pipe from South Korea. Unless the Commerce Department makes the right choice in July, the American pipe and tube industry could suffer. Enforcing trade laws creates jobs in America."
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014